Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Portland BarCamp and Meetups

Raven Zachary from The 451 Group is trying to get a critical mass of people here in Portland, OR for a local BarCamp. Dates are still TBD, but please drop your name on the Portland BarCamp Wiki if you are interested in attending (or helping organize). For anyone not familiar with BarCamp, it is an ad-hoc tech “gathering born from the desire for people to share and learn in an open environment. It is an intense event with discussions, demos, and interaction from attendees.” (BarCamp.org)


I am also talking to Raven about organizing something a little less intense than a full BarCamp event. I was thinking something more like a meetup where a group of cool people interested in technology could chat over drinks one evening about every month or so. I will be emailing a few local techie friends of mine, but if you live in the Portland area and are interested in joining us, please drop a comment on this blog entry or send me an email. If we get enough interest, I'll put something up on the BarCamp wiki to help us get organized.


At this point, I'm assuming this will be a “buy your own” ... in other words, no free beer unless some nice Portland company would like to sponsor us :-)

2 comments:

Josh Bancroft said...

Alex Williams, John Anthony Hartman, and I have been wanting to start a "Portland Geek Dinner"-type of event for a while now, just haven't gotten off of our butts to do it. Whichever one of us gets something set up first, sound like a great idea, and a fun event. Count me in! :-)

Scott Kveton said...

I'd be thoroughly interested in doing this and would be more than willing to help.

- Scott