Wednesday, March 28, 2007

GPL v3: Yet Another Draft

The FSF has released yet another draft of the GPL v3 today. Needless to say, people are getting pretty frustrated by the lack of progress and difficulty in completing this update to the GPL. Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols on Linux-Watch considers how much longer it could possibly take: “Mid-2007? At least. Late 2007? Quite likely. 2008? Could be. 2010!? I wouldn't be surprised. I've got a bad feeling about this.”

Allison Randal at O'Reilly is pretty skeptical, and I have to admit that I have heard similar skepticism from others, including many who have been strong supporters of the FSF for years:

“I will say this much: I'm a believer in free software, and in the importance of free software in advancing the freedoms of individuals. But I'm beginning to lose confidence in the FSF as the primary defender of free software principles. The image they're projecting right now is more of an ineffectual nanny slapping the wrists of naughty children than it is of the bold community leader confidently striding on to the visionary future of the free software movement. It's unfortunate. Maybe we'll see change in this draft and the next. Maybe. (Quote from Allison Randal on the O'Reilly Radar)

At one point, I was following the changes and keeping up with the progress toward GPL v3, but I have to admit that toward the end of last year I gave up. I'll read the final version if they ever manage to complete it.

No comments: