Thursday, July 06, 2006

Using Blogs as Recruiting Tools

I think that a trend is starting in the blogosphere (or this has been going on for years, and I just never noticed). Here's the recipe:

  • Take one high profile blogger

  • Add a blog entry about how cool someone is and say that you want to hire them

  • Wait to see if they bite on the offer

OK, so this is a bit tongue in cheek, but it is essentially what Jason Calacanis and Robert Scoble have done. Calacanis started by offering Amanda Congdon (formerly of Rocketboom) a job at AOL/Netscape with great pay, ownership rights to her videos, access to their new studio in LA for filming, and a travel budget to cover stories on the road. Scoble jumped into the fray by speculating on what it would take for him (at PodTech) to hire someone as amazing as Calacanis. I will be interested to see if others jump on this bandwagon.

I have a great job right now, but the next time I am looking for a new challenge, maybe I will just blog about it and wait for the offers to come rolling out of the blogosphere.

No comments: